Quick, pull up your feet! There is a boogieman under your bed!
The raw, automatic power behind that ubiquitous, irrational fear is the same force driving this idea generation concept.
In fact, using this intellectual technology is no more difficult than the natural human ability of turning molehills into mountains.
Anyone can do it!
Before we get into how this works, I would like to form a pseudo-scientific basis for this notion with a quick anatomy lesson.
Hey! Watch Where You Point That!
In your noggin is a group of neuronal circuits which connect your brain stem and cortex. Called the Reticular Activating System (RAS), this package controls the level of attention you give to certain aspects of reality (among other things) and under normal circumstances your RAS operates totally independent of conscious thought. Some folks fleetingly refer to this as their attention span.
What is so dang cool about RAS and attention is that it can be aimed at anything and whether concrete or abstract, the concept under focus can be expanded to an almost unlimited degree. In marriage this would be called nitpicking…
Once unleashed and directed, this imaginary force will free up and allow you to recognize concepts, concerns and circumstances that were previously unattainable. And all the results are based on nothing more than intentional initial focus followed by willing surrender to possibility.
Hypothesis Hill Idea Pipe
- Imagine there are ten stainless steel pipes deeply embedded side by side in a grass covered mound called Hypothesis Hill. One end of said pipes is connected to another stainless steel header pipe which is running at ninety degrees to the others. Like a hair comb made of pipes.
- This header pipe sticks out of Hypothesis Hill and is capped on the visible end with a green peanut butter jar lid. (this explains why some folks are allergic to new ideas…)
- Un-thread the lid and step back as water begins to trickle out.
- Just pay attention to the flow of water because this contraption is already at work. As water exiting the idea pipe increases in volume, its movement through the tube gradually dissolves wax plugs sealing the connection to each of the adjoining ten pipes.
- Now ideas previously retained in each side pipe will be hydraulically vacuumed into the idea pipe.
- Gather the ideas as they emerge. Don’t judge or rate them. Wait for at least seven or eight suggestions and notice three things about them – A. how are they unique? B. how are they similar? and C. do they have kids?
- Allow a space for one overall concept to gel from the combined concepts.
- Recap the pipe to refill.
- Repeat as often as necessary.
- There is no end to ideas.
Do Not Get Real
Imagination is a very real ability possessed by each person and yet new concepts seldom accidentally find their way to us. For the most part ideas seem to act like children – its usually us grown ups that must be looking out for them.
Fortunately, with this process all we have to do now is flip our lids and sit back and wait.
I hope your idea pipe fills quickly and often.
Thank you, friend.
PS – this article was originally posted on ezinearticles.com using the above described formula. Pipe uncapped at 10:35 am, ideas polished and ready to reveal by 3:30 pm. March 26, 2010.